Yesterday we had a big harvest! We took about 275 lbs of food to the soup kitchen, crisis center and a developmental disability center. We have turnips, beets, and heads of lettuce coming out our ears!
We started first thing in the morning as usual.
We also wanted to thin them a bit so hopefully we will have bigger roots next harvest.
We did not have any pest issues on the field lettuce (aphid is a bad word around us after washing all those lettuces from the high tunnel…) and the heads were just sooooo much healthier than the ones in the high tunnels. There are several reasons for this, the biggest being that we fertilized the field and not the high tunnel. The high tunnel lettuces were part of a research project and weren’t supposed to be fertilized. It was a good opportunity to see the impact of soil nutrition!
’twas a successful morning!
Now time to visit the Raleigh farmers market finally! Happy Saturday!